Thursday, January 3, 2013

One Person CAN Make a Difference

Those of you who've been readers here at From the Soil know that I'm a big fan of TED talks....and of my good friend Shawna Coronado. Imagine my delight when the stars aligned and Shawna was invited to give her own talk at TEDxCrestmoorParkWomen in Denver. 

I've known Shawna since we met at the Chicago Flower and Garden Show in 2011, and we've grown to be very close friends. Quite simply, she's family to me. 

What makes Shawna special is that she believes in others, in their abilities, passions and capacities to make a difference in the lives of others. I've seen her inspire a room full of people, not in praise of her accomplishments, but rather by helping them see that potential for accomplishment in themselves.


I've got a tendency to get frustrated when I don't feel like my actions are making a significant difference in the world. That's when Shawna steps in, figuratively slaps me upside the head, and reminds me that it's the little things, the local things that really matter. If I'm feeling particularly sorry for myself, she'll take off the kid gloves and tell me to get off my ass and do something about it.

I'm blessed to have Shawna Coronado in my corner, reminding me that one person can make a difference

I highly recommend taking the next 15 minutes to watch the video of Shawna's TED talk. 



Please leave a comment below and let me know how you're making a difference in the lives of others. I'll draw a name from those who comment and send you a matted print of the photo below.


6 comments:

  1. You just made me bawl my eyes out. I delight in slapping you upside the head and mostly I'm happy we're friends. Thank you forever for supporting me. ::HUGS:: Shawna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent talk! Very good global concepts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, Shawna! Well deserved praise. I am upping my volunteer work, both as a CASA in the abuse/neglect side of Cook County juvenile court, and through Safe Humane Chicago's Lifetime Bonds program (putting at-risk youth in juvenile detention together with court case dogs, to give kids valuable skills, break down walls, and also get the dogs trained and socialized). Recidivism rates are much lower with programs like this, and it is the best way I know right now to try to put a tiny dent in Chicago's problems of poverty and violence. Plus, Chris, you KNOW I love your photography!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I've enjoyed reading Shawna's blog and got there via yours. I make a difference....I am a teacher. I try to remember that the smile a student gets at school from me or another teacher might be one of the only smiles he/she gets that day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kudos to Shawna and Chris, I love your writing as much as I love your photography! In my less busy moments, I realize that each homeowner I work with who seeks to have a more serene outdoor living space is an opportunity to make the world a little more serene and greener. The energy spent makes the world a better place. I so admire Shawna and hope to incorporate more of that positivity in my daily dealings this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to tell you how my ninety-five year old mother-in-law is making a difference in the lives of the people around her. She resides in an assisted living facility. Her eyesight is still very good, unlike several of her neighbors. Each evening after supper, Mom meets with these ladies in a commons area to read to them from a book of their choice. Mom isn't a big fan of western romances, but is willing to play to her audience.

    ReplyDelete