Monday, October 15, 2012

Barefoot in October


Today was gorgeous. Simply gorgeous. After a windy, wet weekend, a crisp stillness settled in our neck of Illinois today. I felt the call of my camera the second I stepped foot out of the office. It's approaching that point in autumn when the air has a clarity that makes all color seem richer, especially when the evening sun ducks behind the clouds.

After a quick hello to my wife and son and a change into shorts and a t-shirt, I headed out the patio doors with camera in hand. The cool grass felt like freedom under my feet. I worked my way around the house, framing details that caught my eye.

Suddenly, I heard a voice say, "Didn't you listen when your mother said it wasn't summer anymore?"

I stood and turned to see a neighbor from across the street, still dressed from work in khakis and an Oxford shirt -- perhaps more appropriate attire for an evening in the mid-60s. We chatted for a few minutes before he left to pick up his son from a soccer game, and I once again peered through my lens at the garden.

As he disappeared down the street, I smiled to myself: I did listen to my mother. She would have told me to go barefoot in October.















3 comments:

  1. Great photos Chris. The light this time of year is reflected beautifully through your lens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos. I, too, tend to run around barefoot until the colors turn and the leaves begin to fall. Of course, I'm in SC, so my toes are free a little longer than when I lived up north. I remember my oldest son's first Halloween found us with six inches of snow--definitely not barefoot weather! Enjoy it while it lasts! Look forward to reading more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty mix of green, color and the beginnings of fall. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete