Wednesday, November 9, 2011

When Life Makes Us Improvise


Dissipating storm clouds driven across the sky by an advancing cold front let through just enough blue sky and sunlight this morning to bring our autumn color to a breathtaking crescendo. I pulled my camera out of my bag to capture the moment, removed the lens cap, and flipped the switch. Nothing. My battery was dead. After uttering a few choice words to no one in particular, I turned away for a moment when I remembered my iPhone in my pocket. Noting the photography adage, "the best camera is the one you have," I snapped a few shots, including the one above.

The morning light was fleeting, soon replaced by a thick, gray pall accompanied by howling winds that likely have torn leaf from limb. I love it when our unpredictable lives demand that we improvise in order to capture the moment.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. I know well that image, too. Deep blue sky, rapidly moving and changing clouds, all of which serve to make the colors of autumn more vivid than ever, by contrast.

    ReplyDelete